Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

12.04.2010

date night

My hubby and I are about to have a date night and watch White Christmas. It's one of my all-time faves, not just Christmas movies, but ALL TIME movies. I've seen it, oh, twenty times. I love the singing, dancing, costumes for the "show", and of course Bing crooning "White Christmas." We're going to watch it On Demand through our digital cable box. Simple. Easy. Ready-when-we-are. For the last few years, this has been how we've watched it. But prior to that, we watched it on a VHS tape that my mom recorded off WGN in like 1987. The picture quality was crap, there were a ton of commercials, and there was that less-than-ambient hum of the VCR in the background.

But you know what? I miss those commercials...there was one for Leggs brand panythose, and since it was 1987, the color selection was like a rainbow: Teal, red, pink, purple. Yikes. But always good for a laugh. And there were others too...Butterball Turkey commercials; Pillsbury Crescent Rolls with that cute little Dough Boy; I wish I could remember some others. For me, those commercials, the lousy picture quality, and that annoying hum are all part of the experience. We had the same experience and laughed at the same commercials every year. While I appreciate the ease and convenience of today's modern technology, and have to stop for a minute and think about some of the little intangibles that are lost.

Guess I'm just feeling nostalgic tonight.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...