Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

2.26.2009

a new look on lent

At Ash Wednesday Mass last night, Father was talking about our Lenten sacrifices. Traditionally, we give something up for Lent, as it's a time of cleansing and hardship to remind us of the sacrifices Jesus made for our salvation. But Father suggested that instead of giving something up, we take something on. Maybe be kinder to strangers. Or do a random act of kindness every day/week. Or add volunteer work to your agenda. And most importantly, keep it to yourself. Lent is not about broadcasting what sacrifices we're making {And I'm already guilty of that...see my Fat Tuesday post}...it's about cleansing ourselves from the inside out. Getting ready to celebrate the most awesome miracle. I really like this approach, and I think it's a great way to teach Emerson about giving to others.

So, while I still am not eating ice cream until mid-April, Em & I will be talking about people in our community and ways to include them in our Lenten rituals.

Make it a good day~

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...