Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

4.29.2011

tricked ya!

So Emerson, my "yellow lab" eater because she has always eaten absolutely everything we've set before her, has recently gone on an eating strike. Every meal has been a struggle in the last week. She won't even eat her snacks. The only things on her approved list have been peanut butter and honey sandwiches, fruit snacks, and any and all types of dessert. This has made for some very tense meals and one very crabby, hungry girl.

Last night, I had the idea to ask HER what she'd like for dinner. Without batting an eye, she said "plain pasta with no sauce. Just cheese." {I'm sure my mom is chuckling now, as this sounds vaguely familiar to her.} I promised to oblige her (knowing that I'd put some pureed yellow squash in with the cheese and butter...thank you Jessica Seinfeld). Then, I took it a step further. I cooked some peas and chopped some ham and put them into bowls on the table so that people could serve themselves however much they wanted.

She. Loved. This.

She was eating something she wanted, and also felt quite big because she got to do her own "toppings." I was happy because she got 2 good veggies and some protein, and we all were happy because dinner was not a battle. I promised to do this weekly (for the time being, anyway) with a different selection of toppings each time. Maybe turkey and broccoli or chicken and roasted red peppers. And because I'll always sneak some veggie puree into the pasta, I'm not going to fight with her about putting toppings on.

Win win.

Oh, and Pete? He would happily eat cat food. Or dandelions. Or dust bunnies. Or chalk...

1 comment:

LisaMarie said...

Haha! Love that last part about Pete! I find that my oldest is very much like this (just wants plain foods and to "make it up" herself) so we do this kind of meal a lot, too! And my youngest is pretty much like Pete, where she'll eat absolutely anything...and have seconds of it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...