Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

11.03.2008

She's going the wrong way but I'm headed in the right direction

On this lovely morning, our darling Emerson decided that 5:18 am was a good time to wake up. Grrrr. But she kept us in stitches with her cacophony of sounds, so at least we got out of bed chuckling and not grumbling.

Speaking of getting out of bed at an ungodly hour, you may or may not know that I've been training for a 1/2 marathon since January. Well, training to train is more like it. In January, I was running about 6 miles a week and didn't have a lot of purpose other than trying to work off baby weight. But I heard a podcast from a guy who had run the Walt Disney World 1/2 marathon, and I was sold. I convinced my cousin Amy to join me, and was instantly motivated again. I'd never run further than 4 miles, so this 13.1 mile race was definitely going to pose a challenge, but it seemed doable...WAY more realistic than a full marathon. My biggest obstacle would be finding the time to train. I run about a 9:45 min/mile pace, so logging those 8, 10, and 12 milers takes quite a bit of time. But I found a training plan in Runner's World magazine and knew I could do it.

That brings me to the here and now. Today, I "officially" started training for the 1/2 marathon (and stopped training to train for the 1/2 marathon...confused yet?!?!!) I'll log 15.5 miles this week (I usually run 10-12, so this is a definite increase) and feel like God is on my side by giving us 70 degree temps in November. I do start to get stressed out about getting longer runs in (and getting home and showered) before Jeff leaves at 7:45 am, but I've decided that I'm only going to look ahead to "tomorrow's run" and nothing further. This seems like a good way to tackle a momentous undertaking. Now, if I could only apply this principle in my everyday life...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...