Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

12.08.2009

is this normal?

In the last few months, we've definitely observed the development of Emerson's imagination. To see her creativity develop, literally before our eyes, has been tremendously cool for us. And as much as people say that television is a negative for young children, I have to say that it's been instrumental in helping her think imaginatively. She frequently reenacts scenes from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with her stuffed animals {aka: buddies}, and I just don't seen anything wrong with that. So I mostly share the rest of this post in mock horror. But, do all 2 year-olds do this?

During the last week, she's taken it to a whole new level. Her favorite musicians are Laurie Berkner and her band, and there happens to be 3 members: Laurie, Susie, and Adam. She's declared that she is Laurie, I am Susie, and Jeff is Adam. She calls us by these names, and speaks about herself in the 4th person (??). For example, "Laurie is eating cereal for breakfast." Or "Laurie's Grammy has a vacuum in the closet." She even woke from a nap last week and called our for me by saying "Mam...Susie- I'm awake!"

This week, she's shifted to another of her favorite TV shows...Jack's Big Music Show. Another show with 3 main characters: Jack, Mary, and Mel. Jeff=Jack, I am Mary, and Emerson is Mel. And sometimes, she's working double duty, saying things like "Adam is Jack." It's all in fun, and she loves it, so it must be good for her, right?

1 comment:

testing312 said...

I don't raise any kids, so I wouldn't know.

I would have to say my most vivid memories growing up were ones I created from Old Time Radio. Imagining what the characters looked like, their surroundings, clothing etc. had much more influence on me anything else.

Which should be odd considering I was originally an animation major in college and watched as much Disney Channel as possible!

I would say if she's into it and learning it can't be bad.. But again no kids here!

Maybe have everyone draw a crazy quilt dragon.. There's no wrong answer when there wasn't a picture.

Uncle Matt

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...