Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

7.07.2011

I heart fonts

My grandpa ran a typesetting business in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s. He’d set the type by hand)for local newspapers, restaurants, and businesses. And although I never saw his shop, I can visualize the rows of trays filled with tiny letters and pictures. I’m sure the place was never clean- they worked with inks all day long- but I’m also sure that it was quite organized. Imagine the frustration of losing a couple of letters in any given font. That would get old pretty quickly.

I like to think that my love, no obsession, with fonts is in my blood via my Grandpa. On my old computer, I had downloaded over 700 fonts. I’ve toned it down a bit on the new one…I probably have 100 or so now. That’s a good bit of restraint on my part.

I use them on work documents, in my scrapbooks, and on little projects around the house. I love pointing out commercial fonts that I see on TV or in magazines that are a part of my personal collection.

Here are some of the famous ones in my collection. Do you recognize them? (I’m typing their names in case you’d like to add them to your collection.)

started by a mouse

Loki Cola

brother bear

Florida Project

pac font

walt disney script

 

2 comments:

Matt said...

Did you get the fixed Pete video? I sent it last week to your email.

I use Suitcase Fusion 3 on my work Mac.

Here is a list of other font organizers
http://www.myfonts.com/utilityzone/

My favorite font over the last few years has been "Bleeding Cowboys"

The Brown Elephant on Clark also had a bunch of old school printing blocks for sale the other day.

Matt

Sarah said...

I'm unable to see these fonts -- everything is in the same simple serif.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...